ILOILOCITY
Iloilo City, Philippines

Learn more about the City of Iloilo

The word Iloilo came from the shape of the city, cut by the river which looks like the shape of a nose, “Irong-lrong” nose-like, later became Iloilo. Other accounts point the origin of the name to a fish. 

The City is a conglomeration of former towns, which are now the geo-political districts consisting of: Villa de Arevalo, Iloilo City Proper, Jaro (an independent city before), La Paz, Mandurriao and Molo.

The city is the regional hub of education, culinary, religion, healthcare, tourism, culture, industry, and economy in the Western Visayas region.

As one of the gastronomic capitals of the Philippines, Iloilo is famous for Pancit Molo; La Paz Batchoy; Kadyos, Baboy kag Langka (KBL); Laswa; and Kansi. Several regional national government offices, financial institutions and government-owned and controlled corporations held offices in the city. The Dinagyang Festival, held every January; Paraw Regatta, Asia’s oldest sailing event; and Fiesta de la Candelaria (Fiesta de Jaro), one of the largest Philippine marian festivities; are three of the known cultural and religious festivals the city is flocked and renowned for in the country.

The City of Iloilo has a total population of 447,992 with 220,768 male and 227,224 female with an annual growth rate of 1.02% as compared to 1.34% for the province of Iloilo, 1.14% in the region and 1.72% for the whole Philippines. There is a decrease in population of 6,155 in the 1948 from the 1939 population of 110,122 due to the occurrence of World War II but the province, region and Philippines all had positive annual growth rate.

Iloilo City has an average household size of 4-68, by district the biggest is Arevalo with 4.80 then followed by Molo with 4.79, and Mandurriao with 4.68. In the Barangay level, the biggest in average household size is Maria Clara, City Proper with 5.79, then followed by Katilingban, Molo with 5.65, Malipayon, City Proper with 5.42 and Libertad Sta. Isabel, Jaro with 5.36. The meanest in average household size is Brgy. Roxas Village, City Proper with 2.91 then followed by San Jose, City proper with 3.17 and President Roxas, City Proper with 3.33.

Insert Here

Hiligaynon/Ilonggo is the most dominant language in Iloilo City based on the 2010 household population survey. Out of the 421,976 population, 412,421 or 98% of which are Hiligaynon/Ilonggo, 0.45% are Cebuano, 0.26% are Tagalog, 0.21% are Capizeno and the remaining 1.085% are composed of Akeano, Ibatan, Maranao, Chinese, Bicol and others.

Roman Catholic is the most dominant religion with 402,963 or 89.95% of population based on 2015 population surveys in Iloilo City. The remaining 10.05% of population are composed of Baptist, Protestants, Iglesia, Aglipay, and others.

Total Income(2020)

0
General Fund (in PHP)
0
SEF (in PHP)

Business Permits

0
Renewal
0
New
0
Total

Facilities

0
Educational
0
Health
0
Recreational

*

*According to the SEP-2020 Iloilo City Planning and Development Office